Tuesday, February 12, 2008

These Flickr Things

I am ready to be done with the Flickr challenges. I think that the same minds that create and enjoy these kinds of games are the descendants of people who, in less technical times, would have been craftspeople. They would have been building furniture or knitting pullovers. They are like bees, driven by some innate instinct to make stuff, occupy their time productively. It's a force that is admirable. But I don't want to make any more little doohickeys, not even digital ones. By the way, it seems like this exercise (6) doesn't work if you try to upload EPS or TIFF files. Stick with JPGs. I figured that out after my first couple of trading cards didn't download but just disappeared. I do understand that if millions of people are doing this, it behooves me to have some passing familiarity with it, but I think I'd better go back and get a familiarity with some other things that passed me by. I never made my own wine, for example, or learned to dance. I'm not sure that I fully embrace a world in which so much contact and experience is mediated by technology. I must try to find the positives.

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Yes, it is a bit of a challenge and frustrating at times, but my perspective is...I'm not going to use all the tools of 2.0, but I'll have a bit of the knowledge to allow me to converse...

Cindy Gruwell
CMLE 23 Things Coach